The Defund Surveillance working group focuses on LAPD’s budget process, community research, and popular education. The working group, in partnership with activist group Free Radicals, was started in June 2020 in response to the continuing increase in LAPD’s annual budget despite the overwhelming demand to defund LAPD. Since then we have successfully sued the LAPD to obtain budget documents over the last dozen years. These documents are currently being analyzed in partnership with the community. Additionally we released our Budget Creep Zine, a popular education tool to better understand the budget process.
List of posts about Defund Surveillance
- Letter to Mayor and City Council on LAPD’s $213 Budget Increase ProposalWe are community groups writing to oppose LAPD’s pending demand for a $213 million increase to its operational spending for Fiscal Year 2022-2023. If approved, this would be LAPD’s largest ever funding increase. Last November, the Board of Police Commissioners voted to approve this spending increase barely one business day after LAPD released its 687-page… Read More »Letter to Mayor and City Council on LAPD’s $213 Budget Increase Proposal
- Mayoral Candidates Vowing to Renew War on Our PeopleSTATEMENT FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE by Los Angeles Community Action Network and Stop LAPD Spying Coalition Mayoral candidates are starting to trot out their “public safety” proposals. While some of the rhetoric and outward dressing varies, the substance across the board all appears to be the same: vows to increase police hiring and spending at the… Read More »Mayoral Candidates Vowing to Renew War on Our People
- PT 83: Fight Back Against LAPD’s $213 Million Budget IncreaseWEBINAR PART 83 Recording Here – Tuesday November 23rd at 6PM Recordings of Webinars 1 – 82 HERE – – Surveillance 101 Teach-In: 1 – 4 HERE Not A Moment In Time: Zine Issue: 1 – 2 HERE – – Coalition Weekly Update: HERE The National Security Police State always uses crisis like this to… Read More »PT 83: Fight Back Against LAPD’s $213 Million Budget Increase
- AUTOMATING BANISHMENT: The Surveillance and Policing of Looted LandRead Automating Banishment: The Surveillance and Policing of Looted Land, our new community-based report on the relationships between “data-driven policing” and real estate development, displacement, settler colonialism, and conquest. The report is available with interactive maps at automatingbanishment.org. You can also download a pdf of the report or download a short summary. This community-based report… Read More »AUTOMATING BANISHMENT: The Surveillance and Policing of Looted Land
- Data-Driven Policing: Abolition Requires a Culture of ResistanceRead our new article in Issue 35 of The Abolitionist, Critical Resistance‘s “publication dedicated to the strategy and practice of prison industrial complex abolition.” You can read the article below, download the pdf here, and subscribe to The Abolitionist here. Data-Driven Policing: Abolition Requires a Culture of Resistance By Stop LAPD Spying Coalition Policing is… Read More »Data-Driven Policing: Abolition Requires a Culture of Resistance
- ZINE: LAPD’s Budget CreepLAPD’s Budget Creep is a new zine we made over the past year in our Defund Surveillance campaign with Free Radicals. The zine dissects how LAPD’s multi-billion dollar budget has grown over the years. DOWNLOAD ONLINE PDF DOWNLOAD PRINTABLE PDF (to assemble, print this pdf double-sided flipping on short edge or print the online pdf… Read More »ZINE: LAPD’s Budget Creep