LAPD will be presenting its “reformed” version of Special Order (SO) 1 at the Police Commission meeting on Tuesday August 28th for approval. This is the third time LAPD has “revised” the Special Order about Suspicious Activity Reporting Program. Regardless of countless cosmetic changes or so-called reforms, SO 1 is fundamentally flawed in any shape or form.
RALLY, PRESS CONFERENCE AND SPEAK OUT AT THE POLICE COMMISSION
DEMAND THAT THE COMMISSION REJECT LAPD SPECIAL ORDER SO1
When: Gather at 8:30 AM – Tuesday August 28th, 2012
Where: LAPD Headquarters – 100 W. 1st Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012 (across from city hall)
The Stop LAPD Spying coalition has clearly stated from the beginning that SO1:
• Creates a culture of suspicion and paranoia, leads to fear-mongering and creates a strong potential for violence against those considered “suspicious”;
• Reinforces social biases, and promotes racial, ethnic and religious profiling;
• Encourages harmful actions based on hunches and highly manipulable concepts of “reasonable indication” and “observed behavior;”
• Allows the routine use of innocent activity, like taking pictures or using binoculars and many more, to open formal police investigations without one’s knowledge;
• Systematically incentivizes the invasion of privacy rights;
• Allows LAPD to gather unlimited data and put unprecedented power in the hands of LAPD, and in a more secretive way, despite its long institutional history of racism, constitutional violations and violence, which further deepens mistrust of law enforcement;
• As indicated by the absurdly low level of accuracy reflected in LAPD statistics, Special Order 1 amounts to policing based upon a hunch, creating numerous “false positives” with no discernible public benefit.
Sick of Big Brother watching over us constantly?
Angry being considered “suspicious” and “other”?
Concerned about the growing Police State and violation of Privacy?
Want to stop LAPD from turning our communities into snitches?
No Racial Profiling—No Police Spying!!
For further information please call 562-230-4578 or email [email protected]